Monday, May 2, 2011

Here's the recipe: (It's from Paula Deen's Just Desserts cookbook)
Ingredients:
Cake:
1 18.25 ounce yellow cake mix or chocolate (I used yellow because there is someone in the family that doesn't like chocolate...Kurt...can you believe it???)
1 egg
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

Filling:
1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
1 Cup Peanut Butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 16 ounce box confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 13X9X2 inch baking pan.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well. Pat into the bottom of prepared pan and set aside. Still using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth;add eggs, peanut butter and vanilla. Dump in confectioners' sugar and beat well. Reduce speed of mixer and slowly pour in butter. Mix well. Pour filling onto cake mixture and spread evenly. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Don't be afraid to make a judgment call on the cooking time, because oven temperatures can vary. You want the center to be a little gooey, so don't bake it past that point! Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares. Just remember that these wonderful little cakes are very, very, very rich!!

Enjoy!!!
Love, Kurt (I made these for his birthday) and Jenn

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/03/2011

    Thanks Jenn.
    This recipe looks awesome. Can't wait to try it out.
    Kurt and Jon have yet another thing in common. Neither one of them are chocolate fans. Go figure! =)
    Thinking about you today and keeping you in my prayers.
    Love,Aunt Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little Chocolate Lava cakes you made were wonderful, too! A real treat for us chocolate lovers.
    Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jody E5/06/2011

    Try this same recipe using a red velvet cake mix and leave out the peanut butter in the filling. I call them Red Velvet Cheesecake Bars. They are really yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5/08/2011

    Jody, yours sound good too.I made it using a fudge cake mix and it was really good. I would like to try it with a milk chocolate mix. Maybe it would be more like a Reese's cup.
    Thanks, Jenn, for the recipe. It is really great and lends itself to many interpretations.

    Kaylyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5/10/2011

    Hi Jenn,
    I just wanted you to know that I made these wonderful bars for Mother's Day using a chocolate cake mix (unlike Kurt we like chocolate). =) Laura was trying to be kind but said yours were different. I asked how and she wasn't really sure. What it came down to was that yours were better. She was apologetic. She didn't want to make me feel bad but she said yours were gooeier (is that a word?). Everyone else loved them but I guess they weren't up to your standards. I'm going to make them again using a yellow cake mix and see how they turn out.
    I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day. I know it was hard. My sister-in-law lost her mom to cancer when she was a freshman in college (35 years ago, sorry Kim). On Sunday when we were leaving Bloomington my mom wanted to take pictures. When we were doing so Kim mentioned how important it was to have pictures of moms and daughters. For one reason or antoher she didn't have a picture of just her and her mom. She got emotional about it. I thought of you. Even though the days are going to get better you are going to have days that you really miss your mom. Please know that I am here for you just like I know the rest of your family and friends are. I'm praying for you. I know your plate is full but you are doing an amazing job raising two wonderful little girls. I know your Mom was very proud of you and loved you with all of her heart. What a great example she was.
    Love you always,
    Aunt Donna

    ReplyDelete